As another year comes to an end, it’s time to look forward to the upcoming new year. For many, that means planning and setting new year resolutions and goals.
It is great to make resolutions. They are a way for us to look forward to the new year with optimism. To proclaim how we want the new year to be better and how we would go about it.
In the new year, we need to look at our career and set some firm, measurable goals that we can actually track and achieve. Here are five workplace goals for the new year that will make it our best work year ever.
1. Learn a new skill – No matter what field you are in, there are hundreds of new skills you can learn that could benefit your career. Is there one you’ve been meaning to learn? Set it as one of your work goals for the year and get it done.
2. Update your resume – When was the last time you gave your resume a thorough look? Is the style or format still current? Is the information updated? Make it a work goal for the year to review and edit your resume, even if you don’t plan on applying anywhere. It’s always best to update your resume periodically before you lose track of the information you need.
3. Get one new professional certification – Is there an empty spot on your resume where you wish you could put a newly acquired certificate, stop wishing and make it happen! This is a great idea for one of your work goals for the new year as it can advance your career. If it costs money, just think of it as an investment for your future.
4. Create a new professional networking connection – There is no downside to increasing the size of your professional network. You probably meet people all the time, but do you take the time to listen, exchange their business cards, and connect with them? Try to find at least one person per month to add to your connections and watch your network blossom.
5. Improve your personal branding – Your personal brand is a reflection of yourself, your experience, and the knowledge that you possess. If you don’t have a brand, it’s time to start building one. Use social media platforms to your advantage and create a strong and useful contact for your industry. Make it a point to actively manage the way people think of you by being deliberate when it comes to talking about your achievements and results.
As we look forward to a great year, we hope you will find the above suggestions useful.