Your first appearance matters a lot. In just a glance someone can evaluate you based on your look, your body language, mannerism and your demeanor. Anyone can form an opinion about you based on all these.
In many situations, first impression can be difficult to reverse, and they often set the tone for the relationship afterwards. This is why it is essential that you create an impressive first impression.
Below are some key points on how to make a good first impression.
- Keep a Smile – Whoever it is you are meeting; a friendly smile is essential. It will give you and the other person a good feeling. When you smile, you look positive and warm, exactly how you want to appear. But keep it natural, don’t burst into laughter at inappropriate times.
- Be aware of your body language – Body language speaks louder than words when meeting someone for the first time. It is normal to be nervous but you don’t want your anxiety to give you away. Your body language should be “confident and comfortable”. To achieve that, you can practice a few times at home before stepping out.
- Be informed, do your research – Never go into a meeting without being informed. Make sure to do your homework, by looking up the potential partner/client on LinkedIn, Google, or social media platforms to get a sense of who they are, what they do and what they’ve done. It will always impress someone if you show up to your meeting with a good understanding of them. It also shows that you come in prepared and that you care about your potential relationship with them.
- Wear a nice outfit – Your outfit plays an important role in creating a lasting impression. Always wear something that makes you feel comfortable and confident. Be stylish and eye-catching in a way that shows your confidence. Choose colors that compliment your personality but don’t let them be too dominating. You can never go wrong with neutral colors if you are not too sure which color to go for. You can compliment it with a subtle colored accessories and a smart pair of shoes. A watch can help you look more put-together and will enhance your style. Remember to also smell nice.
- Be Courteous and Attentive – It goes without saying that good manners, politeness and courteous behavior helps make a good first impression. In fact, anything less can ruin the one chance that you have at making that first good impression. So be on your best behavior. For instance, by putting your mobile phone on silent, so that you can give the person your full attention can be a great start. And be attentive throughout the meeting so you are not distracted by other people.