Time management is an important skill that helps you increase your productivity and
performance. It is an act of effectively planning and organizing your time with clear and focused goals.
Good time management helps you achieve better results in a short time, without much stress. It enables you to get more work done in less time with less effort, which means you can achieve your goals faster. It also reduces procrastination, avoids distraction, and you get to take control of your time.
When you manage your time effectively, by delegating prioritizing, and setting goals, you get to focus on things that are more important,. Effective time management results in, less work stress, better work-life balance, less procrastination, and less distraction amongst others.
Planning your time guarantees that you stay better organized. We are happy to share five time management tips that can help you become more productive:
1. Always have a to-do list – Having a to-do list is an all-time lifesaver. It doesn’t just help save time, but also helps you stay organized, focused and also you don’t get to forget things you were supposed to work on and important dates and events. With your list, you don’t have trouble wondering what you have to do next and you get to work on projects according to their importance and deadlines (if any). Tick off complete tasks, monitor your progress, and stay focused.
2. Always start with Important tasks – It’s more helpful when you get the heavy and taxing work done first, and you narrow it down to the least important task. it is normal for your energy level to reduce in the course of work, and you don't want to get caught up tired and struggling to complete your task especially the most important ones.
3. One task at a time – Avoid half works, always make sure you complete each task before jumping on the next one. When you abandon your task halfway to do another one entirely you lose focus and the drive to finish that task. Always focus on the task at hand and see to it till it’s all done.
4. Set time limits for your task – Knowing you have a time limit for each task helps you work effectively and faster. Set a firm time limit and do your possible best to finish the task within the set time. (Note: set realistic time limits) There are various apps that can help you with this, like Remember the Milk and Focus Keeper amongst others.
5. Avoid procrastination and distraction – Stop procrastinating. As it is often said,
procrastination is the thief of time because it causes you to waste a lot of time on nothing. When you know you are supposed to work on a project and you give in to distraction you end up convincing yourself you have more time to work on it till you actually have no time to work on it.
We hope you find the above tips helpful in managing your time. Which of the above are you starting with? Share your comment below.